The art department aims to:
- Encourage pupils to develop an understanding of the visual elements of art and how they can be manipulated to create specific effects.
- Give pupils the technical skills needed to record from direct observation, memory and imagination in two and three dimensions.
- Encourage pupils to communicate their ideas and work with originality and creativity.
- Encourage pupils to work with independence and solve problems.
- Encourage pupils to gain an understanding of the work of other artists from different periods and cultures.
- Encourage pupils to use the work of other artists to inspire and inform their own work.
- Encourage pupils to respect the views of others.
- Encourage pupils to use a relevant vocabulary when evaluating their own work or the work of others.
- Encourage pupils to use positive self-evaluation to evaluate their own work and the work of others in order to aid progress.
- Encourage pupils to give a personal response and justify their opinions.
- Encourage pupils to develop an understanding of how art touches our everyday lives.
Essentially the main aim is to foster a sense of enjoyment for the subject and ensure that all pupils experience a sense of personal achievement.
Pupils complete two projects and an exam unit.
- Fine art – Split into equal time spent on landscape and portraiture
- Design – Pupils choose a design question and can work on 3-D design, graphics or textiles